Monday, October 21, 2013

premier semaine dans Canada


Bonjour!

Wow what a week! I made it to Canada last Monday around four Canada time. President Patrick took us to the mission home and we got to meet his whole family. They are all such nice people. Sister Patrick fed us Thanksgiving dinner since it was Canada’s Thanksgiving! On Tuesday we had lots of training on different things pertaining to this mission and then it was the big reveal for where everyone in my district would be stationed. The first one president Patrick announces is…. Sister Houde going to Downs Lake in Ottawa with..... Sister Dick speaking.... English. My District started to laugh because the night before we left I had told them all I had the biggest feeling I was going to Ottawa, English speaking. The rest of my district got put in Montréal speaking French except one elder who will be speaking Spanish and one sister who got called to way north by... Santa Clause you could say. My companion from the MTC got put in Montréal but speaking English! She about died because she doesn’t even own an English set of scriptures or anything. It was super hard saying good-bye to my district I have become so close to them, but I know some time I will see them again! Sooo my companion sister Houde is from you will never guess… Montréal I have never heard of anyone getting there mission call to their home mission before, she was totally capable of going out of the country or even out of province ha ha. She has been out for 1 year and 3 months and the funny thing is she has been in this same area for nine months of her mission she just keeps getting called back to Ottawa, Dows Lake. She learned English in the MTC, but she speaks it pretty well. I try to speak as much French as possible with her so when I get called into a French speaking area I haven’t lost all my French. Our area is so great it’s a YSA branch and our area is down town Ottawa where there are two big universities. It’s really crazy going from being a country girl to living down town. We do A LOT of street contact and it scares the crap out of me. Never in my life have I ever had the feeling to just go and talk to people on the street about the gospel, but that’s what I do every day! My companion gives me confidence that I can do it though since English isn’t even her first language. The diversity here is crazy, we are teaching someone from Afghanistan, France, Africa, Algeria, Finland, you name it and i have seen someone from there here. There is still a lot of French here and everyone switches to speaking French to us when they hear my cute companions accent. Tonight we have our first lesson in all French so we will see how that goes. On Tuesday we have a lesson with a guy who can only speak Spanish, so that one is going to be way interesting. I have gotten the real Canada effect here they really do say “EH” its hilarious they add it behind every sentence they make. The taxes here are really high, and they only have milk in a plastic bag instead of a carton. I have already seen so many miracles. The other night we were street contacting in the freezing cold (apparently not even cold weather yet) and I was having no luck.  I started talking to this Chinese guy but he was in a hurry and walked away really fast. Sister Houde asked me how it was going and I told her “no good this was terrible” then we heard someone ask us if we were lost and needed directions. We turned around and it was the Chinese guy. We told him no, but we are missionaries and asked him if he would like to hear a message. He said yes right now! We told him all about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith and he loved it! We called the Chinese elders and they came and talked a lot of gibberish or Chinese either--or and set up another appointment.  Well on Sunday he showed up and loved church. I know that if I wasn’t here he might have never been able to hear of the gospel. Even though we won’t be teaching him because he is Chinese I know I did something good!  One thing that has really surprised me so far on the mission is when I street contact, a normal question we always ask if they say there religious is “what role does god play in your life?” and never do people have an answer they just kind of pause and say well I don’t really know. I want everyone to think of that question of “what role does god play in your life?” and if you don’t know try and figure it out! I love you all so much emailing time is really hard because we don’t have a lot of time, but letters are great so send those! Have a great week and pray that I don’t freeze to death.


No comments :

Post a Comment