Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!

We do not have this holiday here, we had a holiday they call Victoria Day last Monday, but I hope that you enjoy it! This week was a great week and a very busy one! Since I have been here people always told me how slow it was in the summer time because all the students go home so it is really hard to find people teach. Never did I think clear back in October that I would actually still be here in the summer to experience that, but as we all know God has a great sense of humor and I am still here in the summer seeing what the people meant by slow. It has been harder to find people to teach lately and so Sister Verdin and I set a goal to just talk to everyone young and old and teach them. We started this goal with a fast last Sunday and I can testify that fasting and talking with everyone works wonders. This week we were able to find 5 new investigators. With two of them already having been taught by missionaries when they were younger. We have also been able to give a Book of Mormon out everyday this past week. These people are older and we will have to pass them off to missionaries, who are with family wards, but we still feel very accomplished with our missionary work and that is what counts. Our District leader told us something that I really enjoyed he said, "The lord knows you are doing good work and teaching his children. He will bless you with younger people to teach if you just keep finding his children that have been prepared to teach."
  I tried to be more Canadian this week so I made a shepherds pie and what do you know it was editable and it didn't kill anyone who ate it! I guess its not to late for me to try to learn how to cook! This week we were able to help a former investigator clean here house. She had told us a couple months ago she didn't want to be taught anymore because she liked her church more. Well she called us because her church or her family wouldn't help her move out. It was cool to be able to do a service like that because she was so surprised that we were willing to still help her.
  This past Sunday was super busy because most of our YSA ward went to Palmira New York to a conference there and they new the missionaries couldn't go anywhere so they assigned some of us to give sacrament talks and teach classes. I was able to give a talk in sacrament on Alma 41 it was so cool to be able to really research and dig deep into this chapter. It made me realize that we cant just sleep until the resurrection comes because the people we are in mortality will be the people we will get restored to when we are resurrected. My favorite scripture from the chapter is

 10: Do not suppose, because it has been spoken concerning restoration, that ye shall be restored from sin to happiness. Behold, I say unto you, wickedness never was happiness.

One of my favorite members is leaving on her mission to Vancouver Canada this week and we helped her set up a farewell get together after church. She has helped me realize what kind of member missionary I want to be when I get home and I am excited for her to join the team as a missionary in Canada.

I love you all tons

-Sister Dick

No comments :

Post a Comment